Swatchy Schemey

  This has been my favorite blog post of the semester because I love working with color and getting to put a color scheme together from a cool picture was something that I found very interesting. This assignment was easy for me to understand and easy for me to execute so that I could do it well and I'm very proud of this assignment. 

Original Photo


    The photo that I chose was this picture of a jelly fish because one, I thought the colors in the pictures were cool together and two, I was excited to pull apart the colors in this picture. I decided to pick out some of the main colors in the jellyfish, being the blue, pink, and yellow. 

Color Scheme

    First, I chose to make the upper middle shade of blue in the ombre effect of the water because it is one of the main colors in the picture and would go well with the other colors that I chose. For my second color I chose the magenta color from the tentacles in the middle of the jelly fish not only because I love pink but because I thought it was an interesting color to create. The last color was the yellow from the body of the jelly fish because it wrapped up the theme of the picture. In InDesign I first created the blue swatch with 76% cyan, 0% magenta, 7% yellow, and 0% black and then I named it "aqua".  For my second color I used 18% cyan, 83% magenta, 0% yellow, and 7% black and I named it "tentacle". Then finally for my last color I used 13% cyan, 9% magenta, 76% yellow, and 0% black and I ended up naming this one "jelly".  I used the Explore Color and Tint Swatches video to help me make my tints to my different color by making my middle tint 75% and then the last tint at 50%. 

Nameplates


    For the name plates I decided to use different variations in each plate mixing up the colors and tints in each of them. I wanted to make sure that you could still read the words, even though some of them are a little light to read, I think that the colors go nicely together. I wanted to change up the font of my name but not make it too distracting. I used the "Limit Your Fonts" article to help my understand the different kinds of fonts and that it was okay to make your header font fancy and to keep the second font basic. I tried to make them as aesthetically pleasing as possible and I like the way that they turned out. 

Conclusion

    In conclusion I think that this was a fun assignment to learn more about making colors and seeing how you can play with them to fit the theme you are going for. I think that this assignment has really helped me in thinking of how I want to use color in my final photo story magazine and that playing around with fonts and colors is something you can do in order to spice up your project. 


Comments